The family of 9/11 mastermind Osama bin Laden have donated £1 million ($1.19 million, €1.21 million) to Prince Charles’ charity, The Sunday reported on Saturday. Times.
The report says Prince Charles accepted the gift from Bakr Bin Laden and Shafiq – Osama Bin Laden’s half-brothers.
Although there is no suggestion Bakr or Shafiq sponsored or were involved in any acts of terrorism, news of the donation has heightened scrutiny for Prince Charles’ charities, which have been rocked by allegations of criminal acts.
The report says Prince Charles accepted the donation to the Prince of Wales Charitable Fund (PWCF) when he met Bakr at Clarence House in London in 2013, two years after Osama bin Laden was killed in Abbottabad, Pakistan by a United States special operations unit. military states.
Several advisers to Prince Charles had urged him not to accept the donation.
PWCF chairman Sir Ian Cheshire said in a statement that Bakr bin Laden’s donation had been carefully considered by the trustees of the charity fund at the time.
Cheshire said due diligence was exercised, with information sought from a wide range of sources, including the government. He added that the decision to accept the donation was made entirely by the trustees and any attempt to suggest otherwise was misleading and inaccurate.
Earlier, police launched an investigation in February into another of Prince Charles’ charitable foundations following allegations of a money-for-honours scandal involving Saudi businessman Mahfouz Marei Mubarak.
Mubarak had donated large sums to restoration projects of particular interest to Prince Charles. The Saudi businessman denied any wrongdoing.
(With agency contributions)